Friday, September 4, 2009

Christmas List!!

Keeping track of everything has been a bit weird lately. I ended up dropping a class from school because I had taken on too much. Math seems as if it will be the bane of my existence until I get it over with or get out of school. Not sure which yet, though.

So, in order for me to remember what I need to be doing to keep on-track, this is my Christmas List for this year:
  1. Mack - scarf, green. Have the yarn and am about a 1/2 way through the first skein.
  2. Kelly - Scarf, again, but in black. Need to choose the yarn.
  3. M - not sure what he's getting yet...
  4. M's family - Preserves, jams, jellies, etc. Also a few tatted ornaments, possibly scarves? (need to get on the ball with this.. Nana is already down for the wedding!!)
My immediate family does some weird Christmas traditions, so I haven't decided on them just yet, although I am thinking about making a doily for my gran on dad's side. Nan I'm not to sure about, since her china cabinet is full and overflowing!!

Also, I'm finding that the bamboo yarn I chose for Mack is actually kind of gorgeous. I'm going to have to go stock up on it -- it's easy to work with and is very soft. Well worth the $4.99 price tag, let me tell you!

2 comments:

Ridgewoman said...

What a busy gal! Yum, peach jelly!
You don't have to buy hankies for your jelly jar decorations; just go to a fabric shop and buy Fat Quarters (sometimes you can find them on sale!).
If you want to tat and edging around them you can do one of two methods. If using quarter rounds, stitch a 1/4 " hem around (or cut with pinking shears). Tat your edging, you can stitch the edging and hide it inside the hem, or you can attach it at points on the pinking shears cut 'points'. You would whip stitch the edging on doing it the last way. Usually the edging attaches by being stitched down by the picots. To gauge the distance needed, tat 1" of the tatting with your tension and check how many it would take for your square of material.
Or you can tat a length, lay it against your edge and gage from that. I've done this lots of times for Church fund raisers and such. OR if you are really industrious, you can find a motif that would be the diameter of the jar's top and tat a coaster-size motif; and, they end up with a coaster and a jar of jelly!
Have Fun. Bev Davis from Celtic Tatting; and, In Tatters Groups. Visit my blog, too!

Silver City, New Mexico

Katherinne McKay said...

Thanks for the advice!

I'll try what you suggested. I'm sure that I have some fabric laying around somewhere that I can use. I love the idea of tatting a full coaster, I just don't know if I'll have time!

Thanks again!