Thursday, July 8, 2010

Tatting and Results!

Last night, I blogged about my attempts at dying with tea. I didn't go into much detail because I was in a rush to share, but now I can go into greater detail about it (as well as the after pictures - silly me didn't take a before!)

I used three different types of tea, all from my stash so it didn't cost any extra to do. No prep went into these, except for a little bit of research to learn about timing and everything. The three teas I used were:
  • Peachberry (green)
  • Chai (green)
  • Asian Plum (white)
All three are yummy in their own right, but the Chai and Asian Plum have been in my stash for nearly two years and nearly forgotten. As such, they had lost a lot of their flavor and weren't my favorites. Put to use, the three made these beautiful skeins:

The Peachberry gave a light pink, the Chai a light tan, and the Asian Plum gave the darkest color out of the three. All were dyed using the immersion technique - I didn't paint these (even the variegated!) as you can see from my last post. The ball below the skeins is there for a psudo-before image, because all of these are dyed with this base. Beautiful, and they all smell good! :D

I've also been buying up some ribbon for use in some snowflakes later on. These three colors were partially picked by my mom, only the purple was my choice:


I asked what colors she thought would look good together, and this was her choice. They all look like a grape vine to me, which are gorgeous to look at! Which reminds me, I think I need to take a trip out to Chateu Elan (the local wine and grape producer) and take some pictures to share.

Has anyone ever tatted with these before? I've tried a few - don't have pictures because it's at my grandmother's house at the moment.. I'm so scatter brained! >.<

I have been tatting..

This will become a necklace/bracelet/earring set when I get them complete. I'm working on the necklace now. This pattern is from "A New Twist on Tatting" and is my first ever attempt at an edging. Funny story, that.. My sister told me she had never seen me make edgings, and that she would make those if she were to tat. She likes the look of them on hankies, she says.. And all I've ever done has been in the round!

I showed her! lol She even said that I made these to show her wrong! Good times by all!

As I haven't finished them, these won't be part of my 25 motif challenge yet. When they are done, I'm hoping they will be #23. Shouldn't take too much for me to finish them (I hope!!).

As for the new skeins of dyed thread? Those are part of the present for my grandmother. I'm hoping I can get through this pretty quick. I know I won't be able to finish it by her birthday (which is he 11th), mostly because I have work. Fingers crossed! I'll keep everyone posted!

Happy tatting!

3 comments:

Carol Schockling Lawecki said...

I would say the tea worked out great for dyeing the threads. I'm surprised at the pink tone you achived. Excellent idea!!
The necklace/bracelet set is very pretty!

Gina said...

Nice experiment with the tea dying! Your edging is one I did years ago and posted about recently. I put it on a nightgown in 2000 and just recently removed it. I used purple for the flowers and a deep dark green for the rest. I'll never forget that it seemed like there were zillions of picots to make! Your jewelry will look very feminine and delicate when it's complete.

Katherinne McKay said...

Thanks for the comments!

Carol - The pink was achieved using "Pear Luna" from Teavana. It's very fruity and yummy! It changes the water to a deep dark red. I love that tea!

Gina - It does seem like all I'm doing is making the picots! I'm hoping I can get it done; I have way to many projects going on!